Thursday, June 28, 2012

Let's Play Calling Part 2: The Short and Wondrous Adventures of Chamomile

          After approximately 7 minutes of turmoil and way too many paragraphs, I understand that I have survived the first cutscene. Herbert's antics come to an end, and I once again breathe the free air. It's time to actually play the game. I have entered...


          Assuming that Shin Suzutani is someone's name, I don't recall any Shins appearing during the intro chat. Maybe Shin was the anonymous chatter, or maybe that entire first cutscene was there to provide nothing but the obligatory opening kill and exposition combo. Whatever the case, I awaken to another cutscene. Wheee.


          So apparently, Shin has awoken in an unfamiliar place that seems to be somebody's crappy bedroom. Being sensible, he acts only slightly puzzled after waking up in bland-wallpaper-house. He then notices two phones sitting on a side table next to him and I assume control of his actions. After stumbling about for a while due to the game being on the Wii and all of my movements being resisted due to Shin's irresistible urge to  closely study the paint on the ceiling, I attempt to pick one up and call somebody Shin knows to alert them to his status as a part-time resident of creeper house. Shin has other ideas.


          This is true. I advance the dialogue. There is silence. Apparently Shin finds it rude to violate someone's privacy by using their cell phone after they have kidnapped you and left it sitting on a table. I inspect the cell phone again and Shin reiterates his wise observation that he is, in fact, looking at a cell phone. Fed up with Shin's repetitive assertions of the cell phone's status as itself, I choose to examine the other phone.


          Woah. I would continue writing, but the idea that a black rotary phone is, in fact, a black rotary phone has stunned me into silence. For a game called "Calling," there sure doesn't seem to be very much of it so far. Although I suppose I've only actually been playing for approximately 15 seconds (and 5 paragraphs) so I'll let this one slide. I proceed to search the drawers on the side table and discover exactly no things. I continue over to the other side of the room and begin searching a large set of drawers while the cat doll on top opens and closes its eyes. Then something happens. Something completely indescribable through text.


          The lights go out and Shin utters a sound that can only be written as "Ahauguaha." It sort of sounds like what would happen if you tickled a llama with a plastic shovel. Shin has lost his name privileges at this point; anything capable of creating such a sound does not deserve a human name. From now on this entity shall be referred to as, and exclusively as, Chamomile. It is the only word to describe such a sound. Anyway, I learn that I can save using the eye fluttering cat things. Yay?
          I notice that in the save point this area is referred to as "one story house." I believe there are many other terms that could be used to better describe the flaky-paint-blackout-doll home than this. Just as I exit the save point, I hear a phone ring behind me and observe that it is the cell phone from before, still on the side table. Seeing as Chamomile outright refused to touch it before, it's probable that he won't


          It seems that Chamomile is attempting to make as little sense as a character as possible at this point. Either that or he just doesn't understand the concept of using phones in any other way than picking them up. Regardless, I go over and grab it just to stop the ringtone from continuing. After a short tutorial, I open the phone and listen to the caller. It sounds like a fairly old man.


          After this, the caller hangs up. Umm... good to know. I suppose I'll remember that? After the call, I investigate the clearly lit room and find out that I can't investigate anything because "I can't see well in the darkness" and venture forth into the dark hallway. The atmosphere of the hallway is crushing, and I find myself having only enough willpower to venture into the room directly adjacent to the one I've just left. I attempt to press the light switch outside the room, but not even a flicker results. Anxious, I open the door and peer inside.


          A toilet... okay. After a quick search, there's nothing to be found in the bathroom so I shut the door and creep slowly down the hallway, leading to another door. I attempt to open it, but the doorknob only rattles in reply. Suddenly, I hear a noise. I look around, puzzled. And then...


          A rabid old pale man leaps from the shadows! Luckily, the possibly frantic moment is stopped when he gets smacked in the face with a tutorial screen.


          From the tutorial I learn that if Chamomile flails around enough the ghost will just sort of give up and leave, so I do so. The previously locked door opens and I walk in, finding a flashlight on the floor. I try to open a sliding door at the exit of the flashlight room but only manage to get it open a crack. I head back to the first room to see what I missed due to the darkness, and get another phone call detailing how dolls rule because they never betray you and such. Then I hear giggling and turn around toward the bed.


          DOLL ASSAULT SQUADRON! I nearly jump as they shake their heads violently, laughing and then... just sort of disappear. Okay, I guess these dolls are pretty noncommittal in their attacks on innocent bystanders. With nothing else to do and feeling sort of disappointed that this game managed to make dolls completely un-scary, I head back to the sliding door room. I peek through the crack I made between the doors and see some lady lying on the floor, causing Chamomile to once again produce his wretched ululation. He starts having some sort of nervous breakdown and looks around the room (apparently when you're freaked out you stop moving rather than start booking it) and slowly turns back to the crack to see...


          The doll assault squad is actually a deadly doll cheerleading squad who have formed a human pyramid behind the door and have started projecting their prehensile hair through... what. Chamomile can't handle the sheer stylish force of the dolls' acrobatic moves though, so he forces me to make a charge back to the first room... because I guess that will help him somehow. On the way there, the old man jumps me again and I successfully shimmy out of his grasp. Upon making it back to the room, I receive another phone call (from a young female voice this time) claiming that it's "got me." Although this just seems like more of the same, apparently it sets Chamomile off and he starts hyperventilating. Suddenly, a familiar face appears in the shadows.


          BOOF has made her return! Also that's pretty much exactly how I expected Chamomile to look. Chamomile stares dumbfounded at the opposite wall for a bit before spinning around and noticing BOOF. BOOF then proceeds to kill him using her six arms. Yeah, I don't know either.


          Chamomile makes several ridiculous faces while failing to sync the movement of his mouth with his screams and kicks the bucket. So I guess that was just another over-extended opening kill. Good to know.


          So after about 10 minutes and an extremely long summary, I've completed The Possession. I guess. Hopefully I'll be dealing with somebody less annoying than Chamomile here after this.









          Wait, who even got possessed?

No comments:

Post a Comment